In 1856, the church was completed with the exception of the portico and was solemnly dedicated by Archbishop Cullen on 19th June. It was a truly impressive occasion with sixteen bishops and two hundred priests present at the ceremony.
The new church, constructed around the original building was designed by Patrick Byrne. John Lynch (of Mount Pleasant Ave.) did the masonry work, the stone originating from quarries at Kimmage and Donnybrook. The granite was obtained from Ballyknocken. William Hughes (of Talbot Street) was responsible for the roof and the dome. Messrs. Hogan and Connolly (of what is now Pearse Street) executed the plasterwork.
Image – Nave, Architect’s Sketch 1855